[BITList] A jury to be proud of....

Ronald Thomas thomas.ronald at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 16 20:00:28 BST 2010

 A jury to be proud of....

In a criminal justice system based on 12 individuals not smart enough to
get out of jury duty, here is a jury to be proud of: A defendant was on
trial for murder. There was strong evidence indicating guilt, but there
was no corpse. In the defense's closing statement, the lawyer, knowing
that his client would probably be convicted, resorted to a trick.
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I have a surprise for you all," the
lawyer said as he looked at his watch. "Within one minute, the person
presumed dead in this case will walk into this courtroom." He looked
toward the courtroom door. The jurors, somewhat stunned, all looked on
eagerly. A minute passed. Nothing happened. Finally, the lawyer said,

"Actually, I made up the previous statement. But you all looked on with
anticipation. I, therefore, put it to you that you have a reasonable
doubt in this case as to whether anyone was killed, and I insist that
you return a verdict of not guilty." The jury retired to deliberate. A
few minutes later, the jury returned and pronounced a verdict of guilty.
"But how?" inquired the lawyer. "You must have had some doubt; I saw all
of you stare at the door." The jury foreman replied: "AH Yes, we did
look, but your client didn't."