[BITList] Books and litotes

s14engine s14engine at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 18:14:27 BST 2010

great, hugh

will check the authors out.
these ebooks are usually $9 to $10 delivered.

thanks again

colin

PS this runs on a bit!

PPS - a wee while is phrased in the manner of a lesser statement which
really has the opposite meaning. may be a "litote".
    The use of litotes appeals specifically to certain cultures including
the northern Europeans and is popular in English, Russian and French.
    They are features of Old English poetry and of the Icelandic sagas and
are a means of much stoical restraint.[3]

Simple forms of understatement [found online]:-

First person:      'It's just an old Yves St. Laurent shirt.'

Third person:    'The 6 metre floods are really just a practical form of
rising damp.'

Situational:        'It's only 500km to the nearest water.'

Complimentary: 'You're looking well.'

Derogatory:      'That luminous tie obviously came from a Trappist
monastery.'

Elaborate forms of understatement are usually compound, involving multiple
metaphors in the context of the subject. The usage gives a progressive
series of understatements.

Elaborate forms of understatement

Personal: 'I'm thinking of saving my wages and putting a down payment on a
lentil, one day.'

Third person: The sales manager was without a doubt the most
non-materialistic person I have ever met.

Situational: 'Historical analysis and speculation by experts over decades
now suggests that World War Two may have been in some obscure way unpleasant
and noisy for the actual participants.'

Understatement as a metaphor

In more advanced writing, understatement is used as a metaphor for concepts
rather than physical facts.

In Herodotus, a Spartan king views the booty from a captured Persian camp,
and says in effect: 'Did they come here to rob us of our poverty?' This is
understatement in terms of the relative wealth of the Greeks and the
Persians.

Unless grammatically incorrect, understatement is always used in a context
in which the expression is intended to