[BITList] electronic books.

CT's x50type at cox.net
Sun Aug 1 00:08:36 BST 2010

BIT folks

Amazon is about to release it's ver 3.0 of their electronic book reader "Kindle". This link has info on the Kindle.................http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reading-Display-Graphite-Globally/dp/B002FQJT3Q
They are now selling more electronic books than conventional paper ones. Newspapers, magazines and periodicals are also available and are delivered wirelessly to the Kindle [as are all e-books].
Some thousands of books can be stored on the Kindle and/or they are archived at Amazon, so books once downloaded/bought are unlikely to be lost. Amazon has >400,000 titles available with more available daily.
Books copyrighted in the US before 1923 are now in the public domain; their copyrights have expired and it is legal to copy such works, so they can be downloaded free from Amazon in e-book form.
For example - the complete works of Charles Dickens [51 books] is $2.99. The works of Thomas Hardy [14] is $1.99. etc.
Later books vary in price but are generally cheaper than the printed editions.
To start my library, I would be grateful for the names [and authors if possible] a few of the books you have really enjoyed over the years and can recommend.

much appreciated,

colin t