[BITList] bp cost cutting

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 30 23:55:27 BST 2010

ct
Seem to remember there is a point when one starts to drill where the rig
is particularly vunerable this is when the hole is first spudded in and
there is no BOP at this stage only a hydrill ( a rubber and steel bag
which is inflated to seal off between the drill pipe the riser) and a
diverter rigged under the rig floor incase surface gas is encountered
the hole being drilled with only a temporary guide base into which the
riser is latched the next step is to run casing onto which the BOP and
ball joint is then mounted from what I have read so far I think this
must be at the stage they were at as it is only after the BOP is mounted
on this casing that it is cemented in place and  pressure tested and the
chance for channelling to take place around the casing is there
requiring more cementing, so closing the BOP doesn't solve the situation
as the gas/crude is coming up around the outside of the casing and
bypassing the BOP mind you Im talking many years ago and the mind grows
fuzzy on detail but with no hydrostatic head to contain any encountered
pressure the rig is always more vulnerable at this stage
frank