[BITList] Slicker, quicker vicar

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 30 16:36:49 BST 2010

The matter of who The Skater was, and who painted him, was aired for a while
in 2009, but the consensus came down on the side of  Robert Walker and Henry
Raeburn.  And why not?

I note - "he was ordained to the charge of Cramond, near Edinburgh, to which
he was presented by Willielma, Lady Glenorchy".  Few controversies in the
Scottish church were more bitter than the one over this practice -
patronage.  The local laird (or his lady in this case) could foist anyone on
a church.  The Veto Act in 1834 gave congregations the right to veto the
laird's choice, but in practice it led to lawsuits when the veto was
ignored - the congregations being obliged to resort to appeals in the Court
of Session.  One appeal went all the way to the House of Lords before being
thrown out.  So the Disruption of 1843 happened, and one established church
in this town was left with 11 members and no minister.
Of 1,203 ministers, 451 left the Church of Scotland, and it was estimated
1/3 of the membership left. They formed the Free Church.  Most of my
ancestors were of that or another seceded denomination - hardly one remained
in the C of S.