[BITList] Google moves to block Groggle over 'similar trademark' -Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 28 22:08:27 BST 2010

John,

Bastards like Google use the fear of expensive litigation to screw others. They know they haven't a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding in any legal battle - they bank on the victims' inability to finance a defence.

The statements used by their lawyers to threaten legal action are almost word for word what we got from the solicitors purportedly acting for a society in Paisley, "we" being a small group we set up to transcribe and market archive material.  The society claimed this and that and the other, and we were to desist lest we be sold into slavery, or worse.  Immediate legal action was promised, lest, etc.  I advised we offer them a meeting on neutral ground to allow them to clarify what the hell they were talking about - none of us could make it out. After a 2 month gap they offered us different type of meeting, which we ignored.  Things went back and forth for over a year until, as I hoped, they made a statement involving the individual members of our group, at which each of us sent them a long letter, worded by me, since when there has been no talk of sueing anybody - they fell over themselves to say they have no issue with us individually. It's all bombast and idiocy - the bastards can't even spell, a fact I refrained from pointing out to them.  What I'm doing now is investigating who paid for it all, given the society's constitution (I used to be a member) makes no provision for paying the funds out to lawyers.

I hope the Groggle lot take them on, for, if they don't, the Googles of this world will have free rein.  What words can Google lay claim to?  Giggle? Gaggle? Gongle? Goigle? Anything starting with G and ending with "gle"?  I thought McDonald's unsuccessfully trying to sue a Scot called McDonald for calling his shop McDonald's had ended such nonsense.