[BITList] Goldman CDO case could be tip of iceberg

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 18 08:01:31 BST 2010

Colin,

Betting, backing - this is horse racing?  So the financial health of the world is determined by rich clowns getting even richer by throwing loaded dice.  A viable firm making a profit and employing 1,000 people can be trashed and left valueless, if that fits their betting scheme?  Good on the American regulators - I only wish our lot had a tenth of their balls.

Beautiful sunsets from here, but no dust coming down.  I laid a sheet of plastic out the other night and found not a speck on it next morning.  Who do I complain to?  Still, we have TV debates to console us.  I read (I'd sooner have my appendix taken out while awake than watch anything to do with the forthcoming election) a winner emerged from among the three "contestants" at the first debate : Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg - Prime Minister and prospective PMs.  Most photogenic or made less mistakes?  Who knows how politicians are judged nowadays.  I draw a veil over Gordon Broon, heir to Tony Blair, Iraq, and all that.  I saw an out take of a recent interview with Cameron - the same smooth, reasonable, fluent, well scrubbed Cameron we are offered on TV.  He lost the head at being asked a question his aides had clearly not prepared him for.  He complained, flannelled, whined, aggressively accused, obfuscated, and at no point came anywhere near offering an answer.  He seemed terrified at the prospect of anything he said being construed as an answer. The question?  What was his take on the current minor controversy over the right of homosexuals to get rooms in boarding houses.  Of Nick Clegg, all I'll say is that he thinks Edinburgh has a shipbuilding industry, and he wants to be PM of the UK.  God help us all - no matter who gets in (and it'll be one of the three), we're doomed.