[BITList] Titanic 'did not send distress signal for 45 minutes', book claims - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 14 09:48:25 BST 2010

Mike,

My soon-to-be-written book on the Titanic - A Lot of Stuff About the Titanic - will reveal that it may have taken up to 38 minutes for a distress signal to be sent, because the ship may have had an electrical fault caused by the Chief Engineer having probably had little experience in some aspects of marine electrical installations.  I produce crucial evidence from a conversation overheard between Mrs Edith Fudge, 2 Blackpool Gardens, Canning Town, and a man at a market stall in Leeds.  Mrs Fudge's niece at one point intended buying a ticket for Titanic's maiden voyage, but gave up the idea after losing interest.  It was she who overheard the conversation.  "Good God," said Mrs Fudge,"What a big ship !  I certainly hope the people in charge (and she paused for emphasis here and looked solemn) are fully experienced in all aspects of her operation."  The man at the market stall nodded in agreement, as did several people standing nearby.  All true - my grandmother knew a lady who was there.