[BITList] Family wins $18m over wee-for-a-Wii death | The Australian

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 30 07:57:34 GMT 2009

John,

Some years ago I read an article on "water intoxication", but I seem to recall that vast quantities have to be drunk.  According to the article, they were offered 8 bottles, each of  225mm, which I read as a misprint for 225 millilitres, in which case the total is 1.8 litres.  Around the time I was 18 I took up the cornet, and I obtained the use of one from the local Territorial Army band through the good offices of a neighbour who played in it.  There came a day of reckoning, and I was offered the choice of joining or handing back the instrument.  I decided to join up.  The annual camp was due shortly after that point, so I was asked to attend a medical and made an appointment with a local doctor who was their MO. Later I learned that the good doctor liked a drink or two, and anyone with the sniffles was barred from the camp (on the Isle of Wight) lest he cause the doctor to have to work while there.  He failed me, and asked me to consult my own doctor, who sent me to hospital for investigation.  I was there 3 days, and was sent home with the flu, but otherwise 100% healthy.  During my stay,  two nurses came to my bedside in a flap, asking me how fast I could drink water.  Apparently I was supposed to consume 8 pints of water or some such outrageous amount before a certain time, and they had forgotten.  I drank a great amount, and they were satisfied with the resulting urine sample, for I was sent home next day.  Maybe the flu I developed next morning (and didn't tell them about) was caused by the water, so who should I sue?