[BITList] Fwd: Offshore Ops.

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 16:00:12 BST 2009

 From another correspondent of mine who went to sea...

B.I. = proper ships.

Upp Elya - when the Shetlanders go back to their roots

Shoush,  only a 200,000 tonner flying under the Iranian flag when BP
formed a joint venture supplying ships and crew.

Forties Kiwi (ex Britihs Kiwi) converted 15,000 ton product tanker
into a flotel/fire engine/disaster ship for the Forties field (not top
of flare stack in top left. Cargo pumps provided the water for the
remote controlled cannons and the water curtain for the bridge.  25
years old,  Doxford engine,  but with 4 retractable azimuth throusters
fitted down the length of the hull allowing us to literally dance
around the North Sea and park alongside the platforms for mass
evacuation onto our helideck which extended 60' beyond the stern,
complete with after con position...followed by a quick swing around to
tackle the fire.

P.30  larger than life rescue boats.  These 30 footers were
prototypes,  with 6 litre marinised lorry engines and overdrive.
Endless fun, and the rougher the better - they really did fly,  and
would restart after rolling,  although we did not test that too often!

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.