[BITList] Sir Ludovic Kennedy - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 20 08:33:38 BST 2009

John,

He was a giant in an age of pigmies.  He had traits in common with Hans Christian Andersen, the most striking being their affliction by neurosis, though Andersen's never left him.  And Kennedy's horror at being invited to tea at Balmoral reminds me of Andersen's terror when told Prince Albert wanted to meet him.  At the time, Andersen was in Dumbarton here, and Albert and Victoria were on their Grand Tour of the Highlands.  Andersen fled south and met Dickens.

A wee tale, now, to illustrate how lives intertwine, even if at far hand.  Before ending up in Dumbarton on a Sunday, Andersen had been on a cruise on one of the lochs, and had been given the card of a man from Paisley after telling the man he'd like to meet Matthew Tannahill, brother of Robert, the poet.  Robert had taken his own life in Paisley, and Matthew lived there.  In the event, Prince Albert intervened, and Andersen didn't get to Paisley.  I have a photograph taken in 1858 of a gathering of the great and good of Paisley at the home of William Fulton of the Glen.  Centre front is Matthew Tannahill, not long before he died, and at the back is William Robb, my 4xgreat uncle.