[BITList] India's spelling enters a gray zone - The National Newspaper

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 9 16:37:03 BST 2009

Mike,

Grey/gray .... the UK surname is spelled Gray, which might the source of some confusion.  US spellings of English were introduced by statute to make things simpler for them and different from (US to) our usage.  I see no reason why anyone outside of the US should feel bound by their decisions on spelling.  Norway changed spellings by act of parliament in the 1920s to widen the gap between written norsk and written dansk - so far no such notions have been followed in the UK, though I believe we have agreed to follow a recent decision that "sulphur" will be spelled "sulfur", at least in scientific reference.