[BITList] Fwd: [bep] Guardian comment on Brown apology

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 04:44:32 GMT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

As an example, this is what I wrote as a comment:

My daughter-in-law's grandfather was a Dr Barnado's boy who was shipped from England to Australia, being separated from his family. David Cameron has announced a policy which would enable grandparents not to be separated from their grandchildren. This needs to be backed up by the UK Government ending the policy of discrimination against state pensioners in countries to which the child migrants were sent like Australia and Canada. Currently state pensioners who made National Insurance contributions but who are now retired in these countries do not receive annual uprating to their state pensions as those that live in countries like the USA do. The annual cost to fix this disgraceful situation would be about 1% of the 50,000,000,000 pounds surplus in the National Insurance Fund or about 0.7% more than is currently paid in state pensions. This would avoid the need for future apologies from the UK Government. Baroness Amos, the new British High Commissioner in Australia was quoted as saying " This was an absolutely shocking period in our history". Let's prevent history repeating itself.

If you want to submit a comment please do it as soon as possible because the article was published in yesterday's Observer on line newspaper.

Richard Lane

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.