[BITList] Began with a beetle

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 14 20:15:30 GMT 2009

John,

Another of the same, though a worker in a smaller scale.  I studied
biochemistry at one point, though only as an adjunct to another subject, and
it appeared later in a course on control engineering, of all things.  The
various cycles in the biochemistry of the body lend themselves to a study of
control engineering.  We were studying a process via a reaction between
salivary amylase and a reagent, analysing the resulting trace on a paper
tape in engineering terms. This amylase was chosen because it is readily
obtained from saliva.  I got a flat line and an empty reagent bottle, and a
peevish note from my tutor after he read my report.  My saliva lacks
amylase, and I have that in common with dogs.  Had I not been an engineer, I
might have noted that this is the case with some people, but that would have
involved reading the instructions before all else failed.