[BITList] Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 13 20:28:32 GMT 2009

The season to be jolly approaches, as witness the many Christmas lights and other aids to shopping being installed and lit up in cities up and down the land. But not in Dundee, which has proclaimed it the Dundee Winter Light Night (try saying it while pissed).  Along with the Winter Light Night(s) they'll have such festive goodies as: a disco, a contemporary circus, a continental market, and a giant fairy on stilts (I didn't make any of this up).  A spokesman for Dundee City Council denied removing Christmas from the schedule. So far so good, but there's more.  In South Ribble and Chorley, Lancs, residents are being given signs to hang on their front doors, not saying Merry Christmas, but "Sorry no carol singers, I won't open my door to you."  This, we are told, is to protect the vulnerable.  The cards, 10,000 of them, have been produced and are being issued by the Safer Chorley and South Ribble Partnership (try saying that while pissed).  Lancashire Police Chief Inspector Richard Robertson said carol singing is a wonderful tradition, but children must be considerate.  He said, "Similar cards were first used two years ago for Halloween, and they have been very effective."  The scene in A Christmas Carol where Scrooge chases the carol singers has lost its meaning for me now.

Baa Humbug,