[BITList] Claims Galore Re: [indaviation] Ever Wondered "Whither Indian Aviation Industry"?

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 03:00:17 GMT 2009

Airplane Launches On Fuel-Cell Power

This Tuesday, the Antares DLR-H2 took off at Hamburg Airport in
Germany using only power from fuel cells, a feat that its builders say
is a first for a piloted aircraft. The motorglider, built by the
German Aerospace Center, flies with zero carbon-dioxide emissions and
is much quieter than similar aircraft. "This motorglider achieves new
quality standards in the field of high-efficiency, zero-emission
energy conversion and clearly demonstrates the progress that has been
made in fuel-cell technology," the Aerospace Center said in a news
release. The DLR-H2 is based on the Antares 20E motorglider, and has a
wingspan of 66 feet. With its fuel-cell propulsion system, the
aircraft can stay aloft for five hours and reach speeds of about 105
mph.

"With our successful first flight, we have verified the feasibility of
fuel-cell-powered flight and our next steps will focus on improving
efficiency levels and on extending the service life of these systems,"
said Dr. Josef Kallo, Antares project manager from the DLR Institute
for Technical Thermodynamics. "At this stage, we have only tapped into
a fraction of the performance capabilities of this technology for
aerospace applications. The Antares DLR-H2 will help us to make much
greater use of these areas of potential." To accommodate the fuel cell
and its hydrogen supply, two external pods were attached under the
aircraft's wings, which were reinforced to carry the load. The total
efficiency of the drive system from tank to powertrain, including the
propeller, is about 44 percent, making it about twice as efficient as
conventional propulsion technologies based on combustion processes,
according to the Aerospace Center. For more details about the project,
click here to read the Aerospace Center's lengthy news release.

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.