[BITList] Harry Patch: the reluctant hero - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 7 10:35:56 GMT 2009

Mike,

The other evening there was a programme on BBC TV featuring all of the 100+ WW1 survivors, including Mr Patch.  What he said was slightly different from the version quoted in the article.  Of Armistice Day, he said, "The 23rd of September (when the shell exploded over him) is my Armistice Day.  The ceremony at the Cenatoph is fine, but the rest is just a military show."  Not an uncommon sentiment from ex-soldiers.  My Dad cut all links with things military when he came home from India in 1946 - he'd been away since 1941, and I don't think his relationship with huis family ever completely recovered.  I've still got his medals, and all his Army papers, maps and the like, but I don't think he ever looked at them.