[BITList] Fwd: A.Word.A.Day--spurtle

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Fri Nov 6 10:43:34 GMT 2009

What's wrong with a wooden spoon ?

Mike
On 6 Nov 2009, at 10:38, John Feltham wrote:

G'day Hugh,

I do so hope that you haven't misplaced your spurtle.

ooroo

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Wordsmith" <wsmith at wordsmith.org>
Date: 6 November 2009 3:24:39 PM AEST
To: wulguru.wantok at Gmail.com
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--spurtle

  Wordsmith.org	The Magic of Words

This week's theme
There's a word for it

This week's words
acnestis
daymare
nihilarian
lentiginous
spurtle

Spurtle

(photo: Lee Valley Tools)

Follow us on
  Discuss
  Feedback
  RSS/XML

A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg

spurtle

PRONUNCIATION:
(SPUR-tl)

MEANING:
noun: A wooden stick for stirring porridge.

ETYMOLOGY:
Of uncertain origin, perhaps from Latin spatula, or from sprit (a pole
to extend a sail on a ship).

NOTES:
There's a word for everything. And there's a contest for everything.
There is one for making porridge, grandly named, The Golden Spurtle
World Porridge Making Championship, held annually in Scotland.

USAGE:
"I know hardly anyone who eats anything much in the morning. ... No
one yet has owned up to stirring porridge with a spurtle, pouring milk
over blocks of desiccated wheat, or even blasting a banana to a pulp
in the blender.
Nigel Slater; Oat Cuisine; The Observer (London, UK); May 19, 2002.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Understand this, I mean to arrive at the truth. The truth, however
ugly in itself, is always curious and beautiful to seekers after it. -
Agatha Christie, author (1890-1976)

Sponsored by:
Your Message Here?
Promote your products or services to more than 800,000 people in this
space. Write to us at (sponsors at wordsmith.org).

Unsubscribe | Subscribe | Update address | Gift subscription | Contact
us

© 2009 Wordsmith.org

BITList at lists.bcn.mythic-beasts.com