[BITList] Fwd: A.Word.A.Day--acnestis

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 13:20:23 GMT 2009

G'day folks,

When I opened this msg I was trying to get to a spot in the middle of
my back!  Honest!.

:-)

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Wordsmith" <wsmith at wordsmith.org>
Date: 2 November 2009 3:25:15 PM AEST
To: wulguru.wantok at Gmail.com
Subject: A.Word.A.Day--acnestis

  Wordsmith.org	The Magic of Words

This week's theme
There's a word for it

This week's words
acnestis

Many ways to read AWAD
Email . Web . Twitter . RSS feed . On your own website
  Discuss
  Feedback
  RSS/XML

A.Word.A.Day
with Anu Garg

Little strokes make a letter and those letters come together to form
words. We assign meanings to the words. Often they express simple
ideas: a tree, a rock, water, and so on. Sometimes a word describes a
more complex idea.

Have you ever found yourself wondering, "Wouldn't it be nice if there
were a word for it?" Well, there is a word for almost everything under
the sun. This week we have dug up five words you may not have known
existed.
acnestis

PRONUNCIATION:
(AK-nist-uhs)

MEANING:
noun: The part of the body where one cannot reach to scratch.

ETYMOLOGY:
 From Greek aknestis (spine), from Ancient Greek knestis (spine,
cheese-grater).

USAGE:
"In what has to be the longest post-election season in living memory,
the last five months have felt like an acnestis upon our collective
soul; like that little patch of skin on our backs that we just can't
reach to scratch ourselves. It's irritating. It's annoying. It's left
us reaching and spinning around in circles."
A Wish List to Soothe Our Collective Itch; New Straits Times
(Malaysia); Aug 5, 2008.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
A decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilisation. -
Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)

Sponsored by:
delanceyplace.com: thinker's daily quote
A carefully selected non-fiction book excerpt free to your email each
day.  	WildWords - Not Your Grandma's Game
New tiles, squares, and rules put all words in play. See how. Very
cool concepts.

Unsubscribe | Subscribe | Update address | Gift subscription | Contact
us

© 2009 Wordsmith.org

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.