[BITList] below sea level

CT's x50type at cox.net
Sun Nov 1 05:41:14 GMT 2009

yo robbo

new orleans is about 2 to 3 feet below s/l - and sinking. it's in a large saucer! all rain water must be pumped out.
you are right about the piling work, also a crane and air compressor can be seen on the I-10 interstate. this is the fly-over work to the causeway I mentioned before.
the whole place was flooded when the drainage canal levee was breeched during /after katrina. I have marked it with a push pin.
this particular drainage canal has now a lock gate to the lake.
just before katrina a very large pumping station was completed. it was to pump water from the city into this canal which was supposed to drain into the lake.
it turned out to be a complete failure. there was no power for the pumps. there was no one to operate the pumps. because the drainage canal was breached, water pumped into the canal by the pumps would simply return via the breach!
consequently, a few million dollars worth of pumps will never be used. they should put them on ebay - brand new pumping station, never used.

as a matter of fact there is serious coastal erosion to contend with as well...........................

 The Crisis:

  a.. LA contains approximately 40% of the nation's wetlands and experiences 90% of the coastal wetland loss in the lower 48 states.

  b.. 60% of Louisiana's land loss occurs in the Barataria and Terrebonne basins

  c.. LA is losing 25 to 35 square miles of wetlands per year and the highest rates are occurring in the Barataria and Terrebonne basins at 10 and 11 square miles per year.

  d.. At current land loss rates, nearly 640,000 more acres, an area nearly the size of Rhode Island, will be under water by 2050.
yes, we're in trouble...........................

ct

Hi Colin

A discussion with my son about how much of New Orleans is below sea (water) level started us checking the map.

After seeing your map I realize I was looking the US 10 crossing which seems to have some pile work going on

alongside, but the pic could be any age.

The attachment seems to indicate a lot of water being held out, and they say the place is still sinking???

Robbo