[BITList] its not just the Poms

FS franka at iinet.net.au
Mon May 25 01:52:34 BST 2009

  MP makes cash allowance for herself

By Steven Wardill

May 24, 2009 10:01pm

*QUEENSLAND MPs are treating their taxpayer-funded electorate allowances
like defacto second pay packets and keeping the cash.*

And the rules State politicians have set for themselves simply encourage
the practice with no requirement and little reason to spend the money on
anything but themselves.

/The Courier-Mail/ has obtained the bank statements of one senior Labor
MP indicating she has doled out the cash to family and friends and paid
council rates for her home and investment property.

Whitsunday MP Jan Jarratt, who is also Parliamentary Secretary for
Employment and Economic Development, confirmed she spent the money on
her own affairs but was unrepentant.

"I think you will find I am entitled to do what I want with the money,"
she said.

One MP yesterday said it was common practice to keep the cash,
particularly among those with the safest seats who had little need to
communicate with their electorate.

The revelation follows the ongoing British expenses scandal with MP from
both sides caught out using their parliamentary allowance to pay for
furniture and luxury goods in multiple homes and in one case clearing a
moat.

Queensland MPs are paid an annual allowance of between $35,934 and $
71,315 each, as well as a miscellaneous allowance of $29,612 each.

The amounts are taxed and are the result of reforms several years ago
when numerous allowances were combined into one payment because
politicians found the paperwork too cumbersome.

"An allowance is paid to each Member. It is to be expended at the total
discretion of the Member," the rule states.

Ms Jarratt's statements indicate she has transferred amounts of between
$1000 and $3000 to her husband and gave her son amounts between $200 and
$500.

She also paid her credit card bill as well as $2800 in council rates for
her Cannonvale home and $1160 council rates for her Townsville
investment property.

Ms Jarratt said she did not have to "disclose any of that to anyone" and
she refused to discuss the merits of how she used the money.

"You are going into an area here which is personal business so I am
going to terminate the call now," she said before hanging up.

A spokesman for Premier Anna Bligh said there was nothing new about MPs
spending allowances how they liked. "This has been the case for many,
many years."

However, Opposition Leader John-Paul Langbroek said he hoped MPs were
spending their allowances wisely.

"The allowance system in Queensland is meant to be used by members
judiciously in the servicing of their electorates," he said.