[BITList] [vsdh] How much do teachers make?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat May 23 10:10:35 BST 2009

John,

You have my sympathy re your 16-times tables in India. For me, up to 12 was
enough. Though I had good marks for arithmetic in primary school, and
averaged 75% in maths in high school, I hated it all and struggled, getting
through with only a vague notion of what I was doing.  In maths I was a very
late developer - the subject only started to interest me and make sense in
my 20s when a bunch of us in Kincaids DO (pre-BI) started to look at, and
fail to solve, problems. We did come away with the not very useful ability
to square 2 and 3 (and for those with good memories, 4) figure numbers in
our heads, but that's just a trick.