[BITList] When will Australia recognise this problem?

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 11:28:05 GMT 2009

Will your holiday flight poison you? The toxic fumes leaking onto
planes and the people who have suffered their effects
By TOM RAWSTORNE
Last updated at 1:38 AM on 28th March 2009

Comments (0)
Add to My Stories

Sitting in the cabin of the jumbo jet as it headed across the
Atlantic, Emily Graeme and her family were looking forward to a
fortnight in Florida. Little did they know that their holiday would be
wrecked before the plane had even touched down.

'We were halfway through the flight when my six-year-old daughter
complained of a funny smell and was then violently sick,' says Emily,
37. Over the next few days, other family members became ill. Emily
suffered severe flu-like symptoms and breathing problems.

'I couldn't move. I was wheezing and had lots of crackling in my
chest,' she says. 'It was just awful. I really thought something
serious was wrong.'

Dangerous: Passengers face short and long-term ill-health from toxic
fumes released during flights

At first, she assumed the family was suffering from a virus. But when
she arrived at the airport for the flight home her suspicions were
roused.

'You can imagine my surprise when I realised other passengers had the
same symptoms. I spoke to five, then ten, then 15 other people. I
spoke to more than 40 in the end.'

Bemused, on her return home Emily consulted doctors. They told her she
was not suffering from a virus or bacterial infection and ruled out
food poisoning  -  the holidaymakers affected had been seated in
different parts of the plane and had eaten different meals. Emily had
eaten only bread.

So what was the mystery illness? Today, Emily, whose family continue
to suffer ill health, is convinced she and her children had fallen
victim to what is known as 'aerotoxic syndrome'.

The phrase has been coined to describe the illness that results when
the air that plane passengers breathe becomes contaminated with a
cocktail of chemicals from the aircraft's engines.

Said to affect the body in much the same way that nerve gas does, the
consequences of inhalation appear to be instant and long-lasting.

'The only thing my family and the other passengers had in common was
that we travelled on the same plane and breathed the same air,' says
Emily.

But when she contacted the airline to raise her concerns she was met
with a point-blank denial that any such contamination could have
occurred. And not everyone is surprised.

According to campaigners, pilots, aircrew and passengers continue to
be the victims of a massive cover-up. Pressure groups representing
those affected claim that for the past 50 years there has been a
fundamental flaw in the way in which air is pumped into planes.

All it takes is an oil leak in an engine and in a matter of seconds
poisonous fumes will fill the cabin. The effects, as Emily contends,
can ruin a holiday. But if it is the pilot who falls ill, the
consequences are potentially far, far more serious.

British politicians are waking up to the growing groundswell of
concern. 'I have been dealing with environmental threats long enough
to know that quite often they turn out to have some basis in reality,'
says Norman Baker, the Lib Dem transport spokesman, who is calling for
a public inquiry.

'I campaigned for many years about the threat from pesticides and we
were told there was no problem. That was shown to be totally wrong.

'People were also told for a long time there was no threat of lung
cancer from smoking. That was shown to be wrong. There is an innate
resistance to any suggestion that there is a threat. And, in this
case, it certainly suits the industry to believe there isn't.'

Thousands of UK holidaymakers will board flights over the summer
without realising the health risks

Next weekend, Britain's airports will be running at full capacity as
holidaymakers head abroad for an Easter break.

Having battled through the crowds, they will finally take their place
in a cramped seat on a packed plane. As is the custom, the cabin crew
will take their positions in the aisle and run through the safety drill.

'Ladies and gentleman, I'd first like to welcome you aboard,' the
loudspeaker message begins. 'During this flight we will be providing
you with air drawn directly from the engines, which will be pumped
into the cabin through vents in the ceiling. We wish to inform
passengers that the air taken from the engines sometimes becomes
contaminated with engine oils or hydraulic fluids.

'When this occurs, you will be inhaling a selection of neurotoxins and
carcinogens, exposure to which may cause short and long-term health
problems.

'Because you cannot open a window, you cannot escape these toxins. But
you won't see anything and you might not detect the smell of these
chemicals. We hope you have a pleasant flight.'

A fanciful scenario? Not if the airlines were being open and honest,
says former British Airways captain Tristan Loraine.

Due to ill health, he was forced to retire as a pilot three years ago,
something he blames on repeated 'fume events'  -  the term given to in-
flight air contamination.

He believes the health of as many as 200,000 air passengers could be
similarly damaged every year. 'I have had nervous system effects from
breathing heated engine oil,' he says.

'My colleagues at work, pilots and flight attendants, have also
suffered nervous system effects. Doctors have found the toxic chemical
present in jet engine oil within my blood. I have been contaminated,
others have been contaminated and more people will be contaminated.'

Indeed, he says that since stopping work he has taken 20 flights as a
passenger and on more than half has noticed the tell-tale smell of
contaminated air.

'I'll often turn to the person next to me and ask if they can smell
anything and if so what they think it is,' he says.

'They'll reply that they don't know and generally add: "If it was
harmful I'm sure they would tell us." That goes to the heart of it.
Airlines are not  telling people.'

To understand aerotoxic syndrome it is first necessary to understand
where the air within a pressurised cabin comes from. At any one point
in a flight, half of the air is re-circulated - processed by the
ventilation system and passed through filters to clean it.

Many Brits will pack their bags and head to warmer climes but due to
toxins they may not to enjoy the break

But the potential problem lies in the other 50 per cent of cabin air.
This is because it comes from deep within the engines flying the plane.

Bled off from the engine before the fuel is injected and burnt, this
'bleed air' is piped back to the fuselage, where it is cooled and then
pumped into the cabin.

Crucially, this air undergoes no filtration whatsoever. It therefore
stands to reason that whatever chemicals and toxins it may have picked
up from the engine can pass straight into the aircraft - and into the
lungs of those on board.

The chemicals at the heart of the controversy originate in the oil
lubricating the engine. The oil is supposed to remain in the engine,
but, as with a car, the seals can leak or fail.

This is most likely to occur when the engines are being worked hard,
the plane is climbing and during take-off and landing. This vaporised
jet oil contains a cocktail of chemicals but of most concern are the
potentially carcinogenic organophosphates, one of which is - tricresyl
phosphate, or TCP.

In humans, organophosphates disrupt the neurotransmitters involved in
muscle function. High-level exposure affects the heart and lungs, and
can cause limbs to tremor. They also cause cognitive impairment,
disorientation and poor memory.

Farmers handling pesticides and sheep dips have suffered in this way.
So, too, it would seem, have airline passengers.

Fume events do not occur on every flight by any means. But they do
tend to be more prevalent on certain aeroplanes - the British
Aerospace 146, the Boeing 757, the Airbus A319 and the Embraer 145
seem particularly susceptible.

Pilots are clearly at greater risk than passengers. This is
particularly worrying on two levels. First, individual incidents can
cause immediate problems. Second, continued exposure can lead to a
gradual deterioration.

Neils Gomer, a Swiss airline captain, experienced a serious fume event
in 1999. 'During the descent, my first officer told me he was feeling
really bad and was close to vomiting,' he said.

'He went on to oxygen. I felt confused and, five seconds later I, too,
was close to vomiting. I just managed to put on my mask, after which I
could hardly move. We were flying at 600 miles an hour, late at night,
both of us more or less incapacitated. I could not even raise my hand,
I could not talk - it was as if I was paralysed.'

Gomer later learned that the flight's 73 passengers were so deeply
asleep that it was difficult to wake them up - a fact confirmed by the
accident investigator, who noted that passengers were in a 'zombie-
like condition'.

While Gomer recovered sufficiently to land the plane, he believes that
if he had delayed putting on his mask, there would have been a crash.

That was a close shave. But could other plane crashes have been caused
by air contamination? Captain Loraine thinks so. In the Nineties, 34
per cent of crashes in the U.S. were caused by pilot error.

'If there is a problem, the crew has to react quickly,' says Mr
Loraine, who is co-chairman of the Global Cabin Air Quality Executive,
which represents aviation workers on this issue.

'If their cognitive process has been impaired, then their decision-
making ability isn't going to be as quick, so they may make the wrong
decision.

Airports like Heathrow will be at their busiest for the next few
months with summer flights selling out

'In any subsequent inquiry, the airline industry will say this pilot
made the wrong decision, but they will never ask why they made the
wrong decision.

'There is enough evidence to show that some people have been lucky to
survive. Isn't it likely that some have not lived to tell the story?'

Dr Sarah Mackenzie Ross, a clinical neuropsychologist at University
College London, recently conducted a study looking at 27 pilots who
had been referred to her for assessment.

Having previously undertaken Government research looking at the
effects of organophosphates on agricultural workers, she was intrigued
by the similarities between the cases.

'I had never heard of this particular problem with pilots before and I
approached it with a bit of scepticism,' she says.

'My thought was that if there was much of a problem then planes would
be falling out of the sky all the time. When I started testing the
pilots, it was clear they were incredibly bright individuals and,
initially, it was not obvious they had any weaknesses.'

But when she studied their test scores closely she found they were all
under-performing in the same way.

'They were bad on tests of response speed - what we call mental
flexibility or multi-tasking - and of memory,' she says. 'In other
words, they were bad at the sort of things you would hope a pilot
would be good at.'

The pilots struggled to memorise strings of numbers - something they
typically have to do when in conversation with air-traffic
controllers. The symptoms they showed matched those seen in people
exposed to organophosphates.

'The results for the pilots and the farmers were remarkably similar -
they had the same strengths and weaknesses,' she says. 'The fact that
they were all under-performing in the same way does make it look as if
there is some sort of connection, some underlying common factor.'

Does she think this is a problem that should concern the public? 'I
think the industry accepts cabin air can be contaminated from time to
time,' says Dr Mackenzie Ross.

'We know the chemicals in the mixture are potentially neurotoxic, but
we don't know what quantities are coming in.

'Some people argue that they are so low we shouldn't be concerned. But
my argument would be that there is a potential for harm and therefore
it is worthy of further investigation.'

The need for further scientific study was highlighted by an
investigation carried out last month by Swiss and German TV.
Journalists secretly took 31 swabs from aircraft cabins on leading
airlines.

These were analysed at the University of British Columbia under the
supervision of Professor Christiaan Van Netten, a leading
toxicologist. Twenty-eight swabs were found to have dangerously high
levels of the organophosphate TCP.

The highest reading was 154.9 micrograms - 1,000 times higher than in
healthy samples.

While the airlines insist you can't extrapolate from those figures the
amount of chemicals in the air as opposed to on a surface such as a
seat, Professor Van Netten says the findings are significant. There
shouldn't be any TCP in the aircraft.

'It should be in the engine. That certainly means oil has been burnt
and has entered the cabin, and that people have been inhaling that
material,' he says.

Solutions to the problem are twofold. One is to do what will happen on
the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which takes to the skies soon. It will
use electronically compressed air taken from outside the plane rather
than air from the engines.

Another solution would be to fit filters to clean the bleed air. It
sounds simple, so why hasn't it been done? Peter Jackson is from the
Independent Pilots' Association, which represents 950 commercial and
private pilots.

Twelve members have lost their flying licences on medical grounds -
which they attribute to oil fumes in the cabin cockpit.

'The Government and the industry don't want to go down the route of
accepting it is a problem because it will be exceedingly costly if
every plane that utilises engine bleed air has to have filters
fitted,' he says. 'That would then mean re-certifying the aeroplane.'

The Department of Transport denies this, saying there is no point in
fitting filters because no one knows exactly what they would be trying
to filter out.

This is because no samples have ever been taken of the air in a plane
following a fume event. Work is being carried out by British
scientists to address this problem.

The Civil Aviation Authority states there is no evidence to conclude
that there is a causal link between cabin air exposure and ill health
in commercial aircraft crews.

A spokesman added: 'We take any evidence of health risk to pilots and
cabin crew very seriously. The CAA will continue to closely monitor
any reports of contaminated cabin air on UK-registered aircraft and
will ensure that existing measures to maintain flight safety are
strictly enforced.'

So what can passengers do in the meantime? Captain Loraine says anyone
worried about a smell when boarding a plane should get off. If that is
impossible, they should report the incident to the CAA and, if they
later feel ill, inform their doctor.

Another campaigning group, the Aerotoxic Association, has started
selling charcoal-lined Flyer's Friend face masks that can be fitted in
the eventuality of cabin contamination. But, like a cyclist's smog
mask, they are flimsy.

Only a tiny minority of the parents and children flying off for some
Easter sun next week will take such protection. The thousands of
others must hope it's not their turn to experience a 'fume event' that
could turn their holiday into a nightmare

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.