[BITList] More on - Oriental Jones and the pie

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 26 08:01:41 GMT 2009

John,

There is no great mathematics involved in converting weights and measures.
Many an unhappy hour I spent with Babcock & Wilcox, converting American
measure on a drawing to Metric and wondering how many places of decimals
might suffice.

I can find no evidence about Alan Turing's ancestry (says he, not having
looked very far), but for those lacking a way of getting to sleep I offer a
formula of Augustus de Morgan.

"If x and y are subsets of a set S, then the complement of the union of x
and y is the intersection of the complements of x and y, and the complement
of the intersection of x and y is the union of the complements of x and y."

On Chilka we talked of little else.