[BITList] GUNS

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 04:19:23 GMT 2009

G'day Hugh,

On 23/03/2009, at 1:26 AM, HUGH wrote:

 > I fired a gun 5 times in my life, a point 303 rifle,

Having spent 12 years in the RAF and wanting to get as much cash in
hand as possible I soon found out that you could get six-pence a day
more pay, if you were a qualified 'marksman'.

To do that you had to pass a shooting test, annually. You were
required to fire a .303 and a Bren gun.

It didn't matter how many times that I fired the .303, I always ended
up with a fat top lip. This was because of the way that I held the
rifle up close to my face. My thumb would catch me on my lip when the
rifle went off.

The fat lip would be with me for a few days.

Firing the Bren was a different kettle of fish.

To ensure that you got your 'marksman' you had to fire an inch group
at 50 yards and get a two inch group with the Bren at 50 yards.

There would be at least a dozen men firing on the range.

The secret to getting a group on the Bren was to fire off single
shorts, as the Bren 'runs away' up to the right when it is on short
bursts. With some practice it was possible to fire single shots while
the lever was on "rapid fire".

The range Sergeant did not like anyone firing single shots. He would
come and kick you on the foot and shout at you to fire 'short bursts'.

But, then he would walk away to get some other poor sod. When he did
that I would fire single shots!

I did have my marksman for most of my 12 years. Not forgetting the
'crossed rifle' badge on your sleeve!  :-)

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.