[BITList] Fwd: [INDIA-BRITISH-RAJ] And the Joys of being a Pedant! - ''British King ruled India till 1950''

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:45:23 GMT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

I wrote in an earlier mail:

<<< *** "The day the British Empire's flag was lowered
and the flag of an independent Republic of India was
raised, the only Latin American country present at the
ceremony was Chile," ***  Would that be 15th August
1947 (when we became independent) or 26 January
1950 (when we became a republic), I wonder. Oh, the
curse of being a pedant! >>>

Well, pedantry, whether errant or not, is also a constant
source of joy, as it can bring to light something unusal.
For example, 'behold' this : dated Monday, Dec 10, 2007

Book claims British King ruled India till 1950

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/12/10/stories/2007121050381500.htm

India was not independent between August 15, 1947 and
January 26, 1950 and it had not severed its connections
with the British crown for the three year, these are some
startling revelations in a new book War for Truth written
by Mr Pankaj Phadnis.

The book takes a fresh look at the freedom struggle and
compares the known details especially about transfer of
power with new information recently declassified by the
Public Record Office of United Kingdom.

It has unearthed new facts by resorting to Right to Information
Act and Public Interest Litigations in the High Court and
Supreme Court of India.

The author is not a professional historian but a Group
Vice President working for a well-known business house.

Eminent lawyer and former Attorney-General Mr Fali Nariman
launched the book at a public function.

Mr Nariman said that the book gave an insight into the
past history, which was until now unknown.

Mr Nariman said that the author has sought rulings from
the courts about 'the very date of Indian Independence'.
Such issues are beyond the judiciary and should be brought
forth for public opinion, he said.

"The Government of India in its reply to my application
under RTI Act has accepted that the King of England
continued to exercise sovereign powers over the country
until it became a republic on January 26, 1950. Thus to
claim that August 15, 1947 is Independence Day is false,"
said Mr Phadnis.

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.