[BITList] more Nuclear Submarine

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 16 21:01:19 GMT 2009

Colin,

A complex beast and no mistake, but why do they think it (and an aircraft
carrier in a previous e-mail) is propelled by a nuclear reactor.  We might
as well say a diesel ship is propelled by the daily service tanks.  I was
only aboard one submarine, in drydock, completing in Scotts for the
Australian navy, and it was claustrophobic.  We were weighed on and weighed
off.  The lads in Scotts' DO sub department worked to a different script
from the rest of us.  A cast gunmetal pipe didn't raise one of their
eyebrows - such were often necessary to solve a problem where a conventional
pipe was impossible to produce.  And come the day when all was done, they
went onto nightshift for weeks to sketch measure and photograph the inside
so as to bring the drawings into line with the many many "to place" items.