[BITList] WHIMSY

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 15 10:07:46 GMT 2009

Now that the beer is back in the fridge(s), could I say how refreshing it is to find that the art of whimsy is not lost. On Chakdara, an account used to be kept of how many gnumphs were found in the ER, chalked up on the board. God knows what Ernie Elrick thought. And I have worked in places where everyone decided to be called Fred, and even Bruce (with suitably fake Aussie accents), to the utter confusion of people on phones.  One manager in charge of commissioning was fond of answering the phone with "Wrigley's chewing gum, how can I help you.", or, "Buck House, duty queen speaking." The first boss I had in Babcock & Wilcox, a baby faced little man, first addressed me in the guise of Neddy Seagoon, he being a Goons fan.

Changing tack (nautical expression), my son-in-law was filling in a form to apply for a US visa. Kevin is 46, born in 1963.  Here is a question on the form.

" ...... between 1933 and 1945 were you involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with Nazi Germany or its allies ?"

Whimsy definitely is not a lost cause.