[BITList] A poem for today

Derek Hargreaves deaitch at talktalk.net
Sun Mar 8 13:14:23 GMT 2009

Ron

Having just attempted and failed to negotiate with the IR regarding alleged underpayment of taxes which will result in my tax allowances reaching the toxic limit, I have to support the sentiments in your poem. Hopefully, we shall have riots this summer outside every government and local government office and every bank. It will be no solution but we might feel a bit better!

On another subject, I have been enhancing computer storage and uncovered the following pieces which emerged when trying to find more on your 1940 escape from Southern France - see attachments.

Showing:-

The dates of Fircraft's Marseilles?Gibraltar trip.

RNDiary extracts illustrating the number of other ships involved (Includes the old Neuralia).

The French convoys for these ships which were trying to take refugees to Casablanca via Oran.

The intervention of the RN off Gibraltar to remove the Saltersgate carrying W S Maugham, later transferred to Dunera with you. Other BI people may be interested to hear that Capt I K Bowerman, one time Master of the Kenya, Nevasa  and Uganda, was 3/O in Dunera at this time.

Treat in usual way if you have this material.

Felicitations les deux.

Derek H