[BITList] From Fred

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 5 20:13:14 GMT 2009

I got this from Fred Waddington, who is having BITList problems.  He asked me to forward it.  It's in response to Tom Gardiner's recent message about C/EOs

Hi Tom in Gympie,
                          I trust the fires are well south of you and you and yours are well, also Robbo who lives south of you. Re apprenticeship, all the current rage in the UK, these newly trained professionals are all set, well in three years time to pull the UK's ass out of the fire, well if you believe politicians and Alan Sugar they are! I started as an apprentice turner, only job I could get in 1960, my Dad who was a toolmaker had organised an apprenticeship where he worked as an apprentice toolmaker, the thought of living with my Dad and going to work with him was desicive in my declining his offer. The apprenticeship was six years then with day release and three nights at tech. Within a year I was bored skulless watching the chuck go round and round and so asked for a change, there followed a year in the fitting shop, a year in the toolroom learning amongst other things how to weld, then another year in the fitting shop before finishing up back in the machine shop, I did milling, boring and heavy planing before the foreman finally put me back on the lathe declaring thats where I was staying from now on. My arse I thought!
                          Fortunately for me the BI advert appeared in the Manchester Evening News that very week and so I applied and managed to wangle a job, I still had a year to go on my apprnticeship but BI waved it, they must have been desperate. So I exchanged metal dust floating around for asbestos dust, only time will tell.
                          Anybody any idea how much the UK are going to have to pay the Disney corporation when Mickey Mouse replaces the Queen on our banknotes and coins?
                                                                  BR FinF