[BITList] Swearing

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 5 15:58:23 GMT 2009

Dave,

What does "ya wanna hang" mean.  Is it obscene?  An Army padre related that, one night in the North African desert, WW2, he was watching a soldier working on the treads of a tank.  It was a clear night, bitterly cold, and the only sound was the metallic ring of the soldiers hammer on whatever.  There came a different thud as the soldier missed and hit his fingers. The brief silence was broken by a virtuoso torrent of obscenities with no repetitions.  There may also have been sparks and flashing lights, and the padre stood in awe of it.  "Oh dear, I've hit my fingers," wouldn' t have done at all, he said.