[BITList] Serial complainers

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 4 12:01:58 GMT 2009

Mike,

I have long been aware that anything beyond a nod of the head could be made the basis of a claim for damages.  In the car one evening a good many years back - my wife was driving - a child sped out of a garden gate, ran between two parked cars and disappeared under ours with a bump.  We stopped with her still underneath, so the brakes were OK, as the police verified afterwards.  She was taken to hospital while we waited, and the police who remained could hardly have been unaware of loud cries from bystanders to the effect that the child was an accident waiting to happen, it was only a matter of time, her mother should control her, etc.  On receiving word from the hospital about the child's condition, the police took the car away and we walked home.  The crowd having dispersed, I took statements from our passengers.  The only outcome was the standard bill from the hospital for a few pounds, routinely paid by our insurance, followed by a phone call from the police to say we should collect the car.  At an early stage in all this we were advised to say nothing, and on no account to inquire after the child's health.  It is the natural urge to do the latter that is a pitfall.