[BITList] Chief Engineer Officer position

Tom Gardiner tm.gardiner at skymesh.net.au
Wed Mar 4 04:28:37 GMT 2009

I  feel this is worth passing along

Some members of BIT List may have seen a Job advertisement in an
Australian paper for a Chief Engineer Officer.

The Ad is within an article about a coaster , Claudia 1 running between
Shellharbour and Blackwater Bay in NSW .

What caught my attention was the difference in training between today
and my time .

My route , apprentice Fitter and Turner in a shipyard , one day a week
at Technical college .

Sea time until Seconds ticket and sea time until Chiefs .

The article states the total time from start of course to having the
chief's job will be 10 years .

Students need to be sponsored as a cadet by a shipping company .

Year 1 has 4 months studying engineering basics then 8 months at sea .

The student has to complete 12 research assignments.

Year 2 , semester 1 is similar to National Cert in England.

Year 2 semester 2 is diesel engines , steam propulsion . electrical and
control engineering , and Maintenance.

Boosted by a 2 month TAFE (tech college) to learn welding , steel
cutting,refrigeration and plant maintenance . Plus 3 months at sea .

Year 3 Likely HNC level , plus management of ships , crews and passengers .

Award of Advanced Diploma of marine engineering

Next is 9 months sea time , followed by a 3 hour oral exam by the
Australian Marine safety authority., covering all subjects studied

Having got this far the engineer must get 15 months watch keeping sea
time , takes 30 months .

Before sitting for the 2^nd class cert of marine engineering

This allows serving a Chief on small ships ,

After another 15 months watch keeping sea one can sit the First class exam .

In case I have kindled an interest , Closing date 10^th march 2009

The job pays $120,000 a year plus 9% employer paid Superannuation. A $
2000 sign on bonus AND a possible $1000 Attendance bonus Eh What ?. The
mind boggles

It seems that with the trip timing ,the Chief will spend 4 nights a week
at home .

B I ships I sailed on had a forge , a lathe and an electric drill .
Never a drill press or angle grinder

Refrigeration was learned as we went along , as was electrical work .

I picked up welding , cutting and other skills when on the bouyage
vessel in Lagos .

Any comments ?
Tom