[BITList] racist?

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 29 10:20:07 BST 2009

Colin,

It's satire.  We live in an age where school sports are banned in case wee Johnny, who canny run for toffee, is made to feel inferior.  Where no prizes are given for effort in case wee Jeannie, who does her own thing at school and is therefore semi-literate, is made to feel inferior. Where the rules of spelling and grammar are increasingly being seen as an irrelevance, only for pedants.  Where university standards are being lowered to accommodate the low standard of preparation of incoming students.  And so on till we end up in a completely egalitarian society where all are equal and nobody can add 2 and 2.

On racism, in this town there are not many people of African descent. Most are children, and apart from their skin colour they are indistinguishable from their fellows in language and culture.  There is one lady who was born in Africa, and she has a daughter.  Both are tall and elegant, and the daughter is a successful model. Passing the lady in the street the other day, a chap of my acquaintance who knew her remarked, "Warm isn't it?  How do you like this weather?"  She flew at him with accusations of racism.