[BITList] BBC bows to viewers and curbs swearing after 9pmwatershed - Telegraph

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 25 09:34:33 BST 2009

John,

It's got to the stage now, that if anyone makes noises about idiot youths swearing (every third word) on buses, people look round at them as if they are talking Japanese.  A young chap in front of me on a bus took exception to the language of a clown in front of him, and for his pains he got a torrent of abuse, all of this ignored by the dummies around, all bar me, that is. Once confronted by two the moron shut up for the rest of the journey.  My father once slapped a man severely and put him off a bus, not for swearing at a woman, but for refusing to apologise to her for swearing at her.  Going to work one morning before 8.00 I was harangued by an obnoxious drunk sitting opposite me on the bus.  He desired to know all about me - where I was going, was I a doctor, what was in my briefcase, etc.  He was offended by my silence and his voice went up a few decibels, so I asked if he'd like to eff off and leave me in peace, a justified use of strong language, I thought. He subsided in a huff, and I was glared at by all and sundry, not that I cared all that much.  It's gratuitous swearing that's offensive.