[BITList] Resigned to the Chiltern Hundreds

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 15:13:12 BST 2009

 From another List

Hearing y'day morning that yet another British minister had
"resigned," triggered a bell to sound in the depths of my mind
reminding me that the terminology used in yesteryear for such events
was the rather quaint  expression, "So and so has applied for the
Office of the Chiltern Hundreds," or thereabouts .

In turn this prompted me to delve deeper into the curious saying, and
you may learn, or refresh your memory, what I discovered at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiltern_Hundreds

How appropriate that the Chiltern Hills was "a hiding place for
robbers!"  No wonder they prefer the more simplistic term
"resignation" these days!

Should a little wisdom have prevailed, and the dearly departed
ministers - who clearly made no positive contribution to society - had
not been replaced, the savings resulting from not having to pay their
salaries - Oh yes! and their dubious expenses  - would have surely
more than funded the uprating of our pensions!