[BITList] Golf lesson

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 29 07:40:27 BST 2009

John,

I believe it, and why not.  Someone must have made the decision, and I'm glad there was a sensible reason for it.  Did I see some really heavy rough on one of the courses?

As an aside, curling and golf share origins, and they also share other things - a different playing surface every day and sometimes every hour or every couple of yards. Do you think ice is homogeneous and made to an international specification?  They share the same high standard of etiquette and self-discipline (eg, touch a stone in play, even lightly, and one must admit it and the team take the penalty). And to a great extent they share a democratic ethos.  Three or four years back my wife played along with Rhona Martin (with or against, I can't recall), the skip of the British Gold medal winning team in the 2002 Olympics, in a competition at local club level - not unusual, as the Welshman sang.  And curlers, like golfers, spend the hours after a game analysing it in detail to anyone within earshot.  They do part company with golfers in the matter of whisky consumed during a game.  On the rare occasions an outdoor game is possible in winter, especially if it's a Grand Match on more than 10" of ice, whisky will often be consumed ad lib.  Whisky is only drunk before or after an indoor game.