[BITList] Microsoft bugs

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 25 08:04:47 BST 2009

John,

I hesitate to argue with a man in Australia, but what I read of Easter Eggs
does not correspond with these "bugs".  Easter Eggs are jokey bits inserted
by programmers for their own amusement.  In the old Sinclair Spectrum (36k
!!) days there was a game called Valhalla, played from a small cassette - no
matter where in the game, entering "Mary" caused a small lady with a red
face to come on and cause a row.  The various "cheats" available in some
computer games were there originally so that programmers could move around
the game easily for debugging without actually playing it.  In our video of
Monty Python and the Holy Grail there is a scene near the end in front of a
building, just before the final battle (broken up by the police on the
grounds the participants are carrying offensive weapons).  If the video is
paused at the right bit the building has "GLASGOW" along the front for a
fraction of a second.