[BITList] Microsoft bugs

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 24 17:23:08 BST 2009

John,

The first is not a bug.  There are characters that are not allowed in file names or folder names, so why not combinations of them?  If a file/folder name can be mistaken for an instruction, it will be barred, and some such thing will be a hangover from the days when the system was created.  In the 70s, when we were writing our own programs, we had to insert error detection routines for data that would give a nonsensical output.

The second will be a device implanted in Word for testing, also a hangover. Type =rand(A,B), and you get A copies of the sentence in column 1 and B copies in column 2.

Haven't a clue about the third.