[BITList] no thanks

CT's x50type at cox.net
Thu Jul 16 04:07:21 BST 2009

at these prices I don't have a smartphone and I don't want one.............................................!

Concerned about the long-term expense of owning a smartphone? You should be. But we found that, among the most popular smartphones on the market today, there isn't a big difference in the total cost of ownership (device, service contract, and so on) over two years--they all come in at around $3,800.

If you're looking for a less expensive smartphone, however, you might consider a lower-priced newcomer such as the Palm Pre or the HTC G1, which end up costing hundreds less than the more popular BlackBerry and iPhone models at the end of two years.

We calculated the total for eight of the hottest smartphones on the market today, comparing the total cost of ownership for two years (the normal term of a wireless service contract), as well as the (amortized) monthly cost. For instance, you'll pay a total of $3,835.75 in the first two years with your new iPhone 3GS (16GB), or about $160 per month (and that's excluding the monthly smorgasbord of taxes, fees, and surcharges you'll pay, which vary from locale to locale). For a lot of folks, the monthly smartphone bill can be as big as, say, a car payment.

On the other hand, Sprint is fighting for market share by offering the Palm Pre for a monthly cost of ownership of about $110. Similarly, you can own a T-Mobile HTC G1 for about $133 per month.