[BITList] BLOWING INTO THE WRONG HOLE

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 12:08:00 BST 2009

As a bagpiper, I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave-
side service for a homeless man with no family or friends. The funeral
was to be held at a cemetery in the Arkansas back country. As I was
not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost; and being a typical man
didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late. I saw the backhoe and the crew. The
funeral guy had evidently gone, as the diggers were eating lunch and
the hearse was nowhere in sight. I felt badly about this. I apologized
to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked
down. The vault lid was already in place.

I started to play and the workers gathered around. I played out my
heart and soul for this homeless man. And as I played Amazing Grace,
the workers began to weep. I played like I'd never played before.

Then I finished and started for my car. As I was opening the door, I
heard one of the workers say, "Sweet Mother of Jesus, I never seen
nothin' like that before. And I've been putting in septic tanks for
twenty years."

ooroo

Bad typists of the word, untie.