[BITList] Foto's die je zelden te zien krijgt... Space Shuttle ...

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 31 15:33:37 GMT 2009

Big stuff, and expensive ! The only bit I can relate to is the upending of
the external tank.  When we'd built the 4-throw section of a 7-cyl B&W
opposed piston crankshaft it was sitting vertical on the blocks (held down
by 3 small bolts through 3 strongbacks, we were a trusting lot).  Jimmy Cram
the slinger would apply slings and pads of sacking round the top pin in a
manner of his own designing, and signal the craneman high above to take up
the slack. We'd remove the scaffolding and the strongbacks and all would
stand well back - when the weight came off the bottom coupling it was in the
lap of the gods which way the lot would swing, though Jimmy claimed to know.
The assembly would be hanging obliquely, not vertically. Having got it under
control, he and others would haul on ropes so that there was a chance of it
pointing in the right direction once lowered to the horizontal.  From that
position it was lifted onto vee blocks for examination and cleaning, then
taken to the machine shop for the pins and journals to be finish machined.