[BITList] Fwd: Lloyd's List: Send to Colleague

Michael Feltham mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Tue Jan 27 18:07:03 GMT 2009

Sorry you couldn't read this the first time

Mike

Begin forwarded message:

From: enquiries at lloydslist.com
Date: 27 January 2009 17:55:13 GMT
To: mj.feltham at madasafish.com
Subject: Lloyd's List: Send to Colleague

The below article was sent to you from Mike Feltham (mj.feltham at madasafish.com
) with the following message: I thought you might be interested in the
article below.

A political pawn?
Rainbow Nelson - Tuesday 27 January 2009

EVERY day, Volodymyr Ustymenko, the Ukrainian master of the Italian-
owned bulker B Atlantic, wakes up hoping that it has all been some
kind of dream.

Yet every morning, the distraught emails and texts sent by his family
only serve to bring home the harsh reality of the Latin farce in which
he has been trapped for the last 532 days.

He is not alone. His first officer, Yuri Datchenko, is trapped in the
same situation.

The two were arrested along with the 38,056 dwt bulker B Atlantic on
August 12, 2007, when Venezuelan divers found 128 kg of cocaine
clamped to the ship’s hull while it was moored in Lake Maracaibo.

They fear they have been caught up in a political game being played
out between firebrand Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez and his
ideological opponents in the US.

“We are completely innocent,” Capt Ustymenko told Lloyd’s List from
the apartment in which he has been held under police guard for the
last 18 months.

“I think it is for political reasons,” he added. “Why should we stay
here for so much time? Because the Venezuelan government wants to
react about narcotic trafficking. We are not involved in this. How can
we be, because these drugs were found about 10 m underwater near the
propeller? That is why the crew and my security officer were not
involved in this situation. We are innocent.”

In a letter campaign mounted in his defence and designed to attract
the attention of the Ukrainian government to his plight, Mr Ustimenko
has alerted authorities to the fact that in ports at Security Level
One of the International Ship and Port Faciity Security Code, the
local government should establish security.

“In this case, the responsibility for the security of the ship lays
with the port,” he said.

The B Atlantic is not an isolated case and Mr Ustymenko and his first
officer are not the only seafarers to be caught up in the web of drug
dealers and those who would seek to make political gains from the
capture of their nefarious cargoes.

Two Greek officers, master Georgios Koutikas and first officer
Athanasios Ntoustsias, are also being held after 98 kg of cocaine and
2 kg of heroin were found clamped to the hull of the Astro Saturn, a
2003-built tanker managed by Kristen Navi, part of the Athens-based
Angelicoussis Shipping Group

The tactics used by the drug smugglers in Venezuela are similar to
those deployed in the case of the B Atlantic. It is a technique that
was popular in Colombian ports during the early part of this decade
until underwater inspections became compulsory for all ships leaving
the country’s most important ports.

US officials fear the lack of security in Venezuela has already
compromised the safety of ships calling at ports in the world’s sixth
largest net oil exporter.

The US Coast Guard has raised its security guidance for shipowners
with ships calling in Venezuela, including the posting of visible
guards at each access point while in a Venezuelan or US port, and
extra crew members onboard to meet the added requirements.

The US Coast Guard said in the US Federal Register at the weekend that
these restrictions were being imposed because “ports in Venezuela are
not maintaining effective anti-terrorism measures”.

Under new guidelines issued by US authorities, vessels must now
implement measures according to the ship’s security plan equivalent to
Security Level Two while in a Venezuelan port, which includes
employing more crew to ensure that each access point to the ship is
guarded and that the guards have total visibility of the exterior
(both landside and waterside) of the vessel while it is in a
Venezuelan port.

Capt Ustimenko’s employer, Stefano Magnelli, director of B Navi, the
manager of the B Atlantic and a fleet of more than 50 bulkers, has
already taken the decision to drop Venezuela completely from its
operations. Angelicoussis ships have also been notably absent from
Venezuelan ports since November.

“I hope that people learn from this that Venezuela is a place that
people should avoid,” he said.

The lesson has proved a costly one for the Italian owner. He estimates
the company has suffered $15m from lost earnings as a result of the B
Atlantic being held for almost 18 months.

When it was arrested the vessel had a book value “in excess of $20m”,
he said, but the considerable deterioration of the vessel due to its
prolonged stay, coupled with the rapid decline in second hand values
while it has been held, has made the bulker worthless.

Laden with 33,000 tonnes of coal and unable to get class inspectors
aboard the vessel during the last 18 months, Mr Magnelli has resigned
himself to losing the ship. He estimates it has a scrap value of $1.5m
and says that all the costs involved of putting it back to sea would
be double that amount.

B Navi’s sister company, B Trading, has been unable to discharge the
cargo, which due to its high sulphur content, could have “created
serious problems for the structure of the ship”, he says.

“Of course, all the papers — class society papers, flag documents —
are expired because they did not allow the surveyors onboard, so we
are exposing everybody to a risk,” he added.

“It would be better to lose the ship than try and get it repaired, but
I am very much concerned about the crew.”

Capt Ustymenko’s daughter, Natalyia, has praised the company for doing
“everything possible” to look after her father and Mr Datchenko.

She said the company has paid the bills for the master and his first
officer to stay in an apartment rather than being held in prison, and
paid their salaries for the last 18 months.

It has also paid the bills for the 24-hour surveillance offered by the
Venezuelan National Guard.

Aurelio Fernandez, the Clyde & Co lawyer pursuing the case in
Venezuela on behalf of B Navi, said that the behaviour of Mr Ustimenko
and his boss could not be further removed from that of hardened drug
dealers.

“When you think that drug smugglers have escaped from the highest
security prisons in Colombia, what type of drug smuggler would sit
there in an apartment guarded by one policeman for 18 months? And what
type of drug dealer would go to visit the scene of the crime in a bid
to get his accomplices released?”

Mr Magnelli described the experience as “a kind of personal disease
for myself”.

“I have the captain’s daughter asking me every day to do whatever I
can. We applied to every entity that we know and all I can suggest is
to contact politicians in the Ukraine to try and bring pressure to
bare in Venezuela — after all these are two Ukrainian citizens,” he
said.

Unfortunately, diplomatic relations between the two countries are
limited.

Ms Ustymenko said her father would never have risked missing his
grandson, Kirill, grow up for all the money in the world.

“He has been a sailor for 35 years, 24 years as a master. He has
worked all his life as a sailor. He is not a drug dealer,” she said.

“We have been writing a lot to the president of Ukraine, as well as to
the representatives of human rights. Unfortunately, we didn’t get any
answer. They just say that the matter is under consideration.”

Patience with the Venezuelan legal system is running thin, said Mr
Magnelli. Since October, Capt Ustymenko and his companion have had
their court appeal suspended more than 10 times, he said.

Mr Fernandez said much of the delay in the case has been due to fears
from jurors. Nonetheless, he said a jury trial is preferential to
leaving it solely to a judge to determine the case, due to the
political influence that could be brought to bear on any magistrate
ruling on these delicate cases.

“So far we have tried to call 64 different jurors and none of them
have turned up. As it is a case involving drugs, people are scared of
retaliation. They are scared of retaliation from drug dealers if they
find them guilty and from the government if they let them off,” said
Mr Fernandez.

The Chavez administration has already shown its willingness to
intervene when judgments in high profile cases go against it.

In the case of Astro Saturn an order was issued to arrest judge Luís
Velásquez Acuña after he ruled that the tanker should be released
after being held for 48 days.

The vessel sailed for the US, immediately avoiding the costly delays
incurred by the owners of B Atlantic before the courts could overturn
the ruling and issue an international order for the vessel’s arrest.

The two Greek officers remain under arrest in Venezuela awaiting the
outcome of an investigation into the discovery and fearful of the
politicisation of their case.

For Capt Ustymenko, the latest date in his drawn out saga is February
6, when he has been told he will finally have his day in court.

“I am optimistic. Of course we are very angry for this because there
is no other vessel like the B Atlantic,” Capt Ustymenko said.

Sign up to the FREE Lloyd's List Daily News Bulletin at http://www.lloydslist.com/bulletin

Articles remain the copyright of Informa UK Limited

Please note that incorrectly addressed emails are returned to a
Lloyd's List bulletin board and that copies may be taken for
administrative purposes