[BITList] What's in your garden shed

David Harvey bison at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 25 13:44:17 GMT 2009

Well, that's plain enough

Dave
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: HUGH
  To: bitlist at lists.bcn.mythic-beasts.com
  Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [BITList] What's in your garden shed

  John, David, Derek,

  I can haud two jaikets, but not three, so I may as well join in.

  Where to start ....

  Rightly or wrongly, "plane" is wellnigh universally used in casual speech, at least in my hearing, with or without the apostrophe.  "Aeroplane" is used for emphasis, as in, "It's an aeroplane, you numpty."  Aircraft are things we read about.  People who design, build or fly them will have their own approach to the problem.

  We all know, or should, what constitutes a boat and what a ship, however, only Clan boats were built in the Greenock Dockyard Coy's yard, and all the BI vessels I sailed on were BI boats - witness the sentimental song: " .... for it's shine, shine, the BI boats shine, the second looks on us with pride, etc."  Despite this, all such boats had shipsides, P and S.

  When considering helicopter v autogyro I have another song, sung in ITMA early WW2: " .... we'll settle down in Cairo with a brand-new autogyro, it's not as crazy as it seems, etc."  So it must have been an autogyro.

  BITList at lists.bcn.mythic-beasts.com