[BITList] Off Topic ? - US Military

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 11:08:30 GMT 2009

I can't imagine any of our Pollies' wife saying this about our Service
men and women - can you?

"Bursting with pride" : Michelle Obama on the military

This is what the First Lady of the United States of America has to say
about the military. The complete text can be read here (Courtesy USA
Weekend).

As I take on my newest role -- first lady, I'll be thinking about what
that promise means to all those whom I've had the humbling privilege
to meet these past two years on the campaign trail: Americans across
the country who opened their doors and hearts to share their stories
with me stories I carry to this day.

I particularly cherished my visits with military families all across
the country. I met so many strong and inspiring military spouses eager
to share their stories, their dreams for the future and the unique
challenges they face because of their families' selfless service to
our country.

And if there's one thing I learned, it's that when our servicemen and
women go to war, their families go with them. I saw how they take care
of each other, heard how they fill in whenever the system fails and
discovered that the trials they faced always were matched by the hope
they shared that better days are still ahead.

The simple 35-word oath my husband will take and the peaceful transfer
of power it completes makes it easy to forget that the great fortune
of our citizenship isn't free at all. It's a responsibility inherited
only because generations of Americans have fought and bled and died
for it.

So as I watch Barack take that oath, I'll be thinking especially about
those members of our American family who stand guard across the world
and the loved ones who await their safe return. Because even as we
mark this moment in American history, there still will be empty seats
at the dinner table; there still will be spouses struggling to juggle
roles and responsibilities; there still will be children who mark the
passing of a birthday without Mommy and toddlers who know their father
only by a grainy video stream from a far-flung corner of the globe.

My husband and I are deeply grateful for the sacrifices that these
families make to protect all American families. And we join them today
and every day in praying for their loved ones and their safety. They
don't ask a lot in return, just a Washington that understands the
challenges they face as part of their extraordinary commitment to our
country.

My husband understands that commitment, and he will ensure America
lives up to its end. As military families join us on Tuesday, in
person and in spirit, I want each and every one of them to know that
for as long as I have the tremendous honor of being your first lady,
your voices will be heard, you will have an advocate in the White
House, and the American promise you preserve always will extend to
you, too.

All of us can learn a fundamental lesson from our military families:
You don't need to wear a uniform to serve your country. We all have
something to contribute to the life of this nation.

Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. And to honor the legacy of a man
who believed that everybody could be great because anybody can serve,
my family and I will spend the day performing activities in service to
others. And we'll ask all Americans to join us in making an ongoing
commitment to serve their community and their country, because in this
new season of hope, that's the only way we'll begin renewing America's
promise for all who reach for it and all who defend it as one nation
and one people.

On Tuesday night, my husband and I will tuck in our daughters like we
always do. Their bedrooms will be different, their home unfamiliar.
But they will drift off to sleep protected by that same sacrifice that
has kept all of our families safe and safeguarded our freedom for
generations -- the sacrifice of our men and women in uniform and their
families.

For that, we could not be more grateful or more proud.

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.