[BITList] Daily Roll marking

John Feltham wulguru.wantok at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 09:05:34 GMT 2009

G'day CK,

 From a High School Teacher's List here in Queensland - in answer to a
query from a teacher as to how each school marks the school attendance
roll every morning. It was never like this when I was in High
School.  :-)

Begin forwarded message:

All up, teachers and coordinators know at any point of the day where
any student is with an electronic system.

We have a rostered duty student sweep the college with a PDA each
period, offering it to teachers who just tap the screen to indicate
from the list of names  presented, the absent student. Staff at this
point can glance at the list to identify the reasons why other students
might be absent and the reason. After the duty students cover each
wing, they sync the PDA at a docking station in the general office
with a database that we keep in the server room. Busy or well
organised teachers can opt to just wave the student on if they use
their laptops to manually mark the roll that period. Late students
sign in at the general office and are marked so by office staff.
Similarly, parents can phone in and the office staff amend the
attendance database with a suitable note (we encourage this option as
it saves everybody heaps of time and most closely simulates what
people do in the real-world). Bulk attendance changes can be posted
for camps etc. Amendments by the daily organiser with roll, room or
staffing changes propagate to the PDA and online system. Soon this
technology will be also available for staff on their (wireless
enabled) mobile phones. If there is a power or technology failure, our
evacuation box in the general office has a set of printouts that can
be easily used.

> I am looking to find out how schools mark their attendance rolls
> during the
> day for their mandatory second daily roll mark. We obviously use
> form rolls
> in the morning, printed from SIMS, but what are you all using for roll
> marking (for example) during last lesson of the day. Do you rely on
> staff to
> manually write out a list of students absent (not wagging) from
> class, use
> an electronic system, whole class lists returned to the office etc.
> (Hope I
> have made my query clear).

ooroo

If you don't hear the knock of opportunity - build a door.

Anon.