[BITList] Opposed piston engines

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 15 15:57:53 GMT 2009

John, Colin,

Apart from my Douglas Dragonfly, referred to in a different e-mail, I had experience of another horizontal opposed piston engine.  Both shared lubrication problems, the top of the cyls tending to be dry, while cylinder and ring wear was severe, given the weight of the pistons was resting on the bottom of the cylinders.  The second engine was/were the free piston gasifiers on GTV Morar, on which vessel I was the first 2E/O.  Apart from the above problems, withdrawing a piston was a bugger, requiring a special procedure and special tools.  I daresay we could magnify all this by a good deal for the engines described by John (I've lost the e-mail), so the space saved above the ER will be at a price.