[BITList] Royal remarks

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 12 12:23:09 GMT 2009

It's odds on this nonsense about the Princeling Harry's video remarks will run and run - it's even reached The Australian. I don't know whether or when the spoken word "paki" was judged offensive or not, and by whom.  I don't use it myself, but that's nobody's business but mine - I'll say only that feelings for the sensibilities of others play no part in it.  Some things occur to me - three years ago, when the word was uttered, we were in ignorance, and not having our @rses bored off us by screeds of newsprint about it and the man who uttered it - why? Did the person the word was aimed at complain at the time? If not, was he afraid to?  Was he offended? Why did it take three years for the matter to be aired and the video made public?  The father of the "victim" now feels offended on his behalf (we've heard nothing from his son), and thinks the apology offered is inadequate.  I think many apologies are glib and inadequate, but in many cases that's all one is going to get unless farting against thunder appeals.  God save us from tabloid news stories - it's not as if there was a lack of real news.