[BITList] The breaking news the BBC wouldn't tell - Telegraph

Robbo macrob37 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 15 08:29:51 GMT 2009

Does anyone really take heed of the BBC anymore.

* Inevitably Australia's vociferous "Greenies" have been blaming Victoria's
fire disaster (and hottest temperatures for 100 years) on "global warming".

But many angry Victorians are blaming the scale of this catastrophe on the
Green campaigners themselves, who for some years have been successfully
lobbying for stringent new laws to forbid clearing trees and scrub to create
fire-breaks around towns and homesteads. Several experts have testified that
the resulting accumulation of tinder-dry vegetation was a major contributor
to the tragedy. In 2004 Liam Sheahan of Ready Creek, Victoria, famously lost
$100,000 when he was prosecuted for felling 247 trees to protect his
property. Last week his house was the only one in the area left standing.

There is all sorts of accusations about who is responsible for the fires,
but we should maybe wait for the royal commission to report (in a couple of
years???)

I think Liam copped a $50000 fine. Right or wrong he knew the rules and
chose to break them. His house was one of a few houses left standing. It
seems things

are not always as reported. Am I getting cynical or what/

Robbo

  _____