[BITList] Captain Kater

HUGH chakdara at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 6 14:00:44 GMT 2009

During WW2, to ease the burden of getting all us up, and out to the shelter, I stayed overnight with great aunt Maggie.  Her house was 2 rooms behind her shop, and I lum andslept on a sort of convertible chair with my head towards a grandfather clock by Green of Nantwich.  This clock had a long pendulum, and a soothing, tick once a second, and to this day I can count in seconds with fair accuracy. My father inherited the clock - it "disappeared" when he moved house.

In the article I see RB Bate mentioned.  I may have mentioned on this site that a distant relation, John Fulton, worked for Bate as an instrument maker from 1834, so he will have caught the last year of Kater's life.  Fulton was my great grandmother's 3rd cousin-in-law, so not all that close, nonetheless, his fame came down in the family.